Saturday, November 23, 2013

Celtic Advent-Day 9

Celtic Advent November 23
     31 days until Christmas

St. Columbanus was an Irish saint of the late 6th and early 7th century.  He is not to be confused with Saint Columba.   The root for both saints' names is gaelic word for "dove."
Some texts will list his saint day as November 21st, but most on line references list his death on November 23rd, 615, so we are going to go with him today!  There is a lot one could write about Columbanus (also listed at Columban at times), yet outside of Celtic Christian circles few Americans know about him today.   At one time he was considered the Patron Saint of Europe. He was part of monastic settlement in Bangor, when, at age 40, he felt a calling to re-evangelize continental Europe.  Although nominally Christian, many parts of Europe had fallen into a superficial observance of Christianity, the culture was described as "degenerate." (Hmm, this sounds oddly familiar).  He begged his abbot to allow him to become a "green martyr."  This seems like a strange term to the modern ear, but in pre-Viking Celtic lands, there wasn't a lot of opportunity to be a "red martyr."  The word "martyr," far from our modern usage, means in Greek to be a "witness."  A red martyr then, would witness to his or her faith through violent death.  A green martyr, on the other hand, would be someone who would give up all ties to their homeland, and begin to wander in other lands, again to be a witness to Christ--sort of combining mission work with the Australian Aboriginal call to "go walk-about."  
Columban and his 12 companions (one always set out with this number of followers) went through France, settling for a time at Luxieuil and founding a church and monatery there.  The local rulers got upset with him after a time for casting dispersion on their profligate lifestyles and forced them on a boat to head back to Ireland.  Due to a storm, they were unable to make the trip and instead headed off by land to Lake Constance, in the territory of the Allemani, founding another church.  From their, Columbanus makes his final trip to Italy where he sets up a monastery in Bobbio, and dies there as mentioned above in 615.  Some scholar speculate that the celtic influence from the monks presence in this area may have been partially responsible for the Christian-Celtic like lifestyle of St. Francis of Assisi, who, more than four centuries later,  spent time in the monastery that Columbanus founded.
The whole concept of green martyrdom fascinates me.  Again these early Celts seem to have gone back to a more biblical lifestyle, becoming like the disciples who were commanded to go from town to town, led by the Spirit, with minimal possesions, to preach the good news.
At one point I tried to do a pseudo-emulation of Colubanus.  I live near the foothills of the Colorado mountains.  So, when I had a rare open Saturday, I packed up a day pack with some spiritual readings, water and snacks, and headed off into the foothills, not picking a particular route (although I stayed on trails), but letting the Spirit move me when I came to a fork.  I stopped about every hour for a time of reading or prayer.  It was like a prolonged prayer walk and was working great until the voice in my head said "Roger, you know what Colorado mountains get like around 3pm this time of year, do you really want to become one with the lightning?"  At which point I headed home...to my "obligations" and my "stuff."
That last draw, my stuff, is one of my barriers as I seek to become more like Columbanus and most of these other early Celtic monastics.  They had minimal or no personal possessions, and were content with that.  Beyond the continual need to de-clutter, I hope that the Spirit can guide me to be willing to look critically at what I have around me, so that if I ever do feel the call to "go walk-about" it can be done with a light and clear heart.

Lord, let the spirit of St. Colubanus inspire me this advent.  At a time of catalogues, day long sales and on-line deals, let me be more aware of letting go;  guide me to a more simple lifestyle, so that when You call on me, whether to head out on the road, or just to come finally to You, I will be ready, and not look behind.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment