Saturday, December 14, 2013

St Hygbald, a disciple of St. Chad

Celtic Advent December 14th. St. Hygbald

St Hygbald or Hibald is not Celtic but Anglo-Saxon. Obviously I have been trying to write about Celtic saints, but made exceptions for St. Hilda and St. Bertoara as they were disciples of Celtic saints. The same is true of Hygbald, who died around 690AD and was an abbot in the area of Lindsey in Northeast England.

As often is the case, there is not a lot written about St. Hygbald, but one of the main aspects of his life was that he was a disciple of St. Chad of Lichfield. Chad, educated in Ireland, was one of St. Aidan's followers and was one of the main pro-celtic supporters at the Synod of Whitby (See St. Hilda and November 17th). Chad seems to have been persistently embroiled in controversial situations. After the Roman faction won out at Whitby Chad stepped out the limelight for a while and lived in a hermitage. He later became Bishop of Mercia but was told that the Pope has chosen someone else, another pro-Rome supporter, and he was forced to resign. If Hygbald was one of Chad's followers, he would have seen first hand the strained relations that can ensure from church politics and church fights. Hygbald emulated Chad by going through a period of living as a hermit.

Hygbald merits a few lines of description from the Venerable Bede. He is described as "abstemious" in his behavior, and constantly speaking of saints that had gone before, including the desert fathers. I had to check an on-line dictionary to remind myself about "abstemious:" refraining from excessive food and drink!

Hygbald still has a following apparently amongst Orthodox Christians in England, with the following Troparion dedicated to him:

"Thou didst love Christ all thy life, O blessed one,
and longing to work for Him as a hermit
thou didst struggle by the pools and carrs of Lindsey with good works, prayer and labour.
With penitent heart and great love for Christ
thou worked with missionary zeal for the Lord.
Wherefore we cry to thee:
beseech the Lord that our labours may be blessed and that our souls may be saved.

St. Hybald, ora pro nobis!"

I resonated with Hygbald's life in a number of areas. I get very frustrated with church politics, which there seems to abound these days. When I see a saint like Hygbald who just focuses in on their own dedication to Christ, regardless of the storms of politics around them, it gives me a sense of re-affirmation. If these early Celts and their Anglo-Saxon disciples were able to keep spiritually oriented during times of upheaval, then so can I. I obviously love studying about saints, so to hear that Hybald studied about the saints gives me a sense of connection!

Finally, it is just 10 days before Christmas. Was it an accident that God led me to read up about a saint who is described as "abstemious?" I am surrounded by chocolate, cream and things made with large amounts of butter every where I turn. And, of course there are the Christmas and Winter Ales being put out by most of the breweries on the Front Range. My question is rhetorical, for in situations like this, there are no "accidents." So...
Lord, as always, you have led me to a saint, who, however obscure, has something that speaks to me. Thank you for saints like Hygbald. Help me to remain, during these times of indulgence and factionalism to remain centered in You. Let me turn to You for a sense of peace rather than using food or drink as comfort. Be Thou my strength and shield. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment