Friday, December 13, 2013

St Judoc: Rambling about Expectations and Compromise

December 13th, 11 days left in Celtic Advent

St. Judoc (also Josse and Joyce)

St Judoc, from the royal family of Brittany, lived from 600 to 668AD. On the death of his father, King Juthael, Judoc's older brother, Judicael, became king. They both were apparently fairly religious....the older brother abdicated to become a hermit, leaving Judoc as king. Judoc vacilated about taking the throne for some months and finally decided that instead what he really wanted to do was to devote his life to Christ and refused the throne.

Judoc travelled to Ponthieu where the local count allowed him to set up a hermitage. After a pilgrimage to Rome, Judoc eventually settled at Runiacum in another hermitage, after his death the area became known at Josse-sur-la-mer.

Judoc developed a large cult following after his death. Josse-sur-la-mer was on the main highway that led to the starting point of the Pilgrim Road, the Way, to Santiago de Compostela, for anyone who was coming from north of Spain. As such, pilgrims tended to stop there and St. Judoc became one of the patron saints of pilgrimage.

His relics were, at some point, take to England and enshrined near Hyde. His following was popular enough in both England and France during the high medieval period that "Joyce" and the diminuitive "Jocelyn" became a popular name for both genders in these areas--this obviously continues to this day, although I doubt many "Jocelyns" are familiar with the origin of their name.

What struck me about Judoc (and his brother) was how we as humans deal with the tension between external, societal expectations and our own sense of calling. I was trying to think of what could be an appropriate modern example. Perhaps because there was a Bronco game on last night, I started to fantasize about how fans would react if, prior to the start of playoffs, both Eli and Peyton Manning announced they were leaving football as they had been called to do mission work in Nigeria? Probably multiple law suits from book makers and fantasy football leaguers would ensue! We are surrounded by expectations, of our families, our friends and ourselves. How much compromise do we allow ourselves?

In my own life, part of my neomonastic vows has been that I would try to take communion weekly. Initially I was really good at this. On vacation or conference trips I would find a local church and try to "sneak" off for a time of eucharist and devotion. If I was in a remote area (like backpacking with my kids in the Tetons) I would try to emulate Teillhard de Chardin and go through a eucharistic devotion in my mind (see his Mass of the World as an example).

In recent years, life and circumstances seem to have gotten in the way of this. Less churches have weekday or early Sunday am eucharists, or the start times have changed to limit my access. Conferences that I go to now start at 7am on Sunday, so I have to decide "do I miss the meeting that my office is paying for or skip it to fulfill my vow." One of my in-laws would sometimes throw out an exasperated look if I was found to be using "family time" to head off to church. Church schisms haven't helped much either.

But, let's face it. All these circumstances are, ultimately, excuses. There is a somewhat obscure fantasy writer from the mid 20th century named James Branch Cavell. One of his main characters, Jurgen, spends an inordinate amount of time in the novel named for him wandering through Mispec Moor, until he finally comes home again. Mispec Moor is an anagram for "Compromise." And that's where I have been, lost on the Moor.

There are 11 days left in Advent, and 18 days left before the time of new resolutions. I know at least one of my soul-friends is reading this blog and will hold me to a return to my Rule of Life. I know need to get back on the horse. If I am sincere in my devotions, then I need to reinstitute my vow, not as a chore, but as a joy, the joy of feeling that sense of oneness with others who are or have been partaking of the eucharist, including all these long gone Celtic saints whom I admire so much. Whew:

Lord, I had know I idea that when you led me to St. Judoc it would bring face to face with examining my own short-comings, my own compromises. Thank You for doing that. Instill in me, Lord, a new sense of purpose and joy as I lay aside "expectations" and follow Your will.
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment